Having problems using OpenBabel? It didn't work or it didn't do what you expected?
Sorry about that, but you've come to the right place. Here you can find some suggestions on finding help.
How to ask for help
This mailing list is for general discussion and support, so please feel free to e-mail any question or concern.
How to report a bug
- Go to the Open Babel bug tracker at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=40728&atid=428740
- A SourceForge account is not necessary but it's a really good idea (you will be updated if we fix the bug or if we ask for further information). If you have one already, please log in (click on "Log in" in the top right). If you don't have one, you can either create one (click on "Create account"), or just simply continue to step (3).
- To submit a new bug, click on "Submit new"
- Please read the instructions under "Sorry you're having trouble!"
- Fill in the boxes to describe your bug report...
A good bug report should include:
- Your *name* and *email address* (if you have logged in using a SourceForge account it is not necessary to include your email address)
- What version of Open Babel are you using, and on what platform?
- An attachment containing an example input file that causes problem
- Don't just say, "it doesn't work" or "the output file had the wrong atom type". Please try to be more specific and give an example of what exactly didn't work. Please let us know what you think should have happened instead.
Here is an example of a poor bug report:
- Bug 1670344 Segault with a large PDB file We couldn't reproduce the problem as no example file was provided, nor were any contact details included.
Contributions of all sorts are most welcome. Open Babel is a community project and would not be the same without your feedback and suggestions.
Please feel free to suggest: